any of the other girls / any of the girls / any other girl

< Previous | Next >

jihoon

korean
1. A girl, who is more rude than any of the other girls I've ever met in my time, made me feel offended yesterday.

If I include the girl I met yesterday in the girls I've ever met in my time, this is possible to use.

2. A girl, who is more rude than any of the girls I've ever met in my time, made me feel offended yesterday.

But if I don't consider the girl I met yesterday a girl that I've ever met in my time, I could say just any of the girls and it makes sense as well.

3. A girl, who is more rude than any other girl, made me feel offended yesterday.

And here, I'm not mentioning specific girls like "the girls that I've ever met in my time", so I would rather use "any other girl" to refer to general girls.

These are all my personal opinion, and I'd like to know if I'm right.

• owlman5

English-US
    1. A girl, who is more rude than any of the other girls I've ever met in my time, made me feel offended yesterday.

If I include the girl I met yesterday in the girls I've ever met in my time, this is possible to use.
    That's right. This version is wordy and very specific.

2. A girl, who is more rude than any of the girls I've ever met in my time, made me feel offended yesterday.

But if I don't consider the girl I met yesterday a girl that I've ever met in my time, I could say just any of the girls and it makes sense as well.
    It does make sense. I like it better than the first version because you omitted "other". "Other" is really needless.

3. A girl, who is more rude than any other girl, made me feel offended yesterday.

And here, I'm not mentioning specific girls like "the girls that I've ever met in my time", so I would rather use "any other girl" to refer to general girls.
    This short version is the best one. You really don't need "any of the girls I've ever met in my time." "Any other girl" means roughly the same thing.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I don't agree about the third sentence, since in theory it refers to all girls who exist or have ever existed.

If you don't specify what group of girls (in my class/in my village/those that I've dated/those that I have met), the statement doesn't make much sense.

owlman5

English-US
    I don't agree about the third sentence, since in theory it refers to all girls who exist or have ever existed.
    This is a good point, veli. However, I wouldn't be surprised to hear it used loosely with the meaning "any girl I have ever known" in a conversation. Both the speaker and I would understand that he can't possibly have known every girl who ever existed.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I don't think "A girl, who is more rude than any other girl" is idiomatic either - it tends to lead you to the "all girls who exist or have ever existed" interpretation.;)

< Previous | Next >