any other ice cream(s)?

< Previous | Next >

sinkya

Chinese
Does this sentence sound ok with uncountable, or should it be countable plural?

"This sesame ice cream can't compare with ny other ice cream(s)."?

I want to say that it is far better than any other ice cream(s?) I've ever had.

I'm talking about different ice cream(s?) so "ice creams" sound better to me, but I don't know how native speakers would feel about it.

Thank you.

• owlman5

English-US
    "This sesame ice cream can't compare with ny other ice cream(s)."?
    Both the singular and plural versions sound fine to me in your sentence, sinkya. If you used "ice creams", I would think you were trying especially hard to let me know that you were thinking of more than one flavor of ice cream.

If I made that remark, I'd stick with "ice cream".

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    To me, "X can't compare with Y" means that X is not as good as Y. So if the sesame ice cream is better than other kinds, I might say something like:
    - The sesame ice cream is much better than other kinds.
    - Other kinds of ice cream can't compare with the sesame ice cream / with the sesame.

sinkya

Chinese
    Thank you, Copyright.

Thank you, Hildy1 for mentioning which should be the better one, X or Y. Could you tell me if you are being modest by saying "To me, "X can't compare with Y" means that X is not as good as Y. " or, is this really just your personal preference which you know other native speakers feel differently? I searched google books for examples, but some sentences were very complex and was difficult for me to tell what the author intended to say.

I wonder if this is one of those mistakes non-native speakers make that are so hard to imagine for native speakers that they go unrecognized.

If owlman5 or Copyright or anyone could comment on this, I'd really appreciate it too.

Thank you.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    "This sesame ice cream can't compare with my other ice cream(s)."
    I want to say that it is far better than any other ice cream(s?) I've ever had.
    It doesn't say that to me; in fact, it says just the opposite! If I thought it was better (I've never tasted sesame ice cream), I'd say:
    This sesame ice cream is the best flavor I've ever tasted.
    If I wanted to use "compare with", I'd say:
    No other flavor I've ever tasted compares with this sesame ice cream.

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    I agree with Parla.

According to the Oxford Dictionaries site:
    compare
    [NO OBJECT, USUALLY WITH NEGATIVE] Be of an equal or similar nature or quality:
    the dried stuff just can’t compare with the taste and aroma of fresh basil

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/compare

That is, dried basil is not as good as fresh basil. It is greatly inferior to fresh basil.

< Previous | Next >