Any parent would do that to help their son

< Previous | Next >

Emily Tran

vietnamese
Any parent would do that to help their son <-----Topic added to post by moderator (Flroentia52)----->

Is this sentence grammatically correct?
Or ''any parents would do that to help their son'' is correct

Last edited by a moderator:
  • PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Any has two meaning:

Give me any pen (countable noun - singular). -> any = it does not matter which [pen you give me.]
    Have you any apples (countable noun - plural) -> any = an amount of [apples].

Give me any help that you can (help = uncountable noun). -> any = it does not matter which type or amount of help you give me.
    Which do you think is best for your sentence?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Probably the one that you think is correct ... ;) Which do you think is best for your sentence?

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Perhaps if you give us the context for your sentence, we could give you a definitive answer. What does "that" refer to? Was it done by one parent? Or by a mother and father?

Emily Tran

vietnamese
    Perhaps if you give us the context for your sentence, we could give you a definitive answer. What does "that" refer to? Was it done by one parent? Or by a mother and father?
    "that" refers to a mother and a father

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    "that" refers to a mother and a father
    No, "that" simply cannot refer to the mother or father. "That" must refer to what the mother or father are doing. To resolve your dilemma, "Any parent would do that to help their son" is correct in modern English. I don't like the fact that the majority of grammarians accept they/their as the singular pronoun but I have little choice in the matter.

Come on now, step up and explain what is troubling you! Have your questions been answered?

Emily Tran

vietnamese
    No, "that" simply cannot refer to the mother or father. "That" must refer to what the mother or father are doing. To resolve your dilemma, "Any parent would do that to help their son" is correct in modern English. I don't like the fact that the majority of grammarians accept they/their as the singular pronoun but I have little choice in the matter.

Come on now, step up and explain what is troubling you! Have your questions been answered?
    Thanks so much, i understand now :)

< Previous | Next >