Any+plural/singular countable nouns

ander1234

Español
Hi!
I have doubts whent it comes to any + plural/singular nouns.
Is it exactly the same to say,for instance:

-Do you have any question?
-Do you have any questions?

-If you have any question,feel free to contact me.
-If you have any questions,feel free to contact me.

-I don't have any question.
-I don't have any questions.

Is it exactly the same to use the singular or the plural when it comes to countable nouns in all these cases(afirmative,interrogative and negative),or is there any of them which sound more natural than the other?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
  • jackaustralia

Australia English
    It is more natural to say "questions" in the plural. Saying "question" in the above contexts sounds very strange to me. It is implied that there are a number of possible questions and, like you say, it is a countable noun so that is why we say "Do you have any questions?" for example.

ander1234

Español
    Yes,that's what I thought,but I have done a search in google writing for
    "Do you have any question?" and "Do you have any questions?",and I get more than 14 million of results for the first one and just 774000 for the second one.....

It's strange,isn't it?

jackaustralia

Australia English
    That is strange. My search in Google was completely different and had it predicting "questions" not "question" for "do you have any questions" and all the results automatically adjusted to "do you have any questions?" I am pretty confident about this but let's see if someone can confirm.

ander1234

Español
    I think that the one which sound better is "Do you have any questions?",but the other form is also possible and gramatically correct,isn't it?

jackaustralia,I have done an exact search,I mean,with the sentences in quotation marks.

mhp

American English
    < Previous | Next >