Any such assets not disposed of by the District Court

PapillonX

Hungarian
Hi Everyone!

This time I address those members who have some proficiency in legalese. I failed to interpret the following sentence, taken from an Articles of Incorporation sample, and was hoping that someone can translate it to plain English for me. So here it is:

"Any such assets not disposed of by the District Court of the county in which the principal office of the organization is then located, exclusively for such purposes or to such organization or organizations, as said court shall determine, which are organized and operated exclusively for such purposes."

I have no problem understanding the sentence till the first comma. At that point I completely lose the thread and everything collapses in my mind. Seemingly, there's no predicate in the second half, which is probably the main reason I can't make it out. Would someone be so kind to give me some guidance as to the meaning of the rest of the sentence? It may be a bit difficult to explain it English, but I had to give it a chance.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

• boozer

Bulgarian
    I am also confused - no predicate (verb)... Sounds like a fragment - some long definition that precedes the meaningful part of the sentence... :(

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    At that point I completely lose the thread and everything collapses in my mind. - I see what you mean...

Is there a section heading? What aspect of law is being discussed? Is the paragraph a subheading? Is it a clause or section within a greater clause or section?

What sort of "assets" are we talking about?

What is the purpose in "such purpose"?

What type of organization is "the organization"?

I think some context would help.

Edit to add:

Absent the above, the passage seems to read:

The district court (found where the organization has its main office) should have disposed of (in a manner in which the court finds fitting) any assets (i) for some purpose or other or (ii) to such organization(s) (as have been described somewhere else) and those organizations should be (i) organized exclusively for such purposes and (ii) operated exclusively for such purposes."

Last edited:

PapillonX

Hungarian
    Here is the complete section from where the quote was taken.

ARTICLE VII
    DISSOLUTION
    Upon the dissolution of the organization, assets shall be distributed for one or more exempt purposes within the meaning of section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or corresponding section of any future federal tax code, or shall be distributed to the federal government, or to a state or local government, for a public purpose. Any such assets not disposed of by the District Court of the county in which the principal office of the organization is then located, exclusively for such purposes or to such organization or organizations, as said court shall determine, which are organized and operated exclusively for such purposes.

< Previous | Next >