Any system running for a period of time .....

angel8848

Cantonese
Hi there,

May I ask a question regarding the usage of 'default' and 'setback'?

Here is the statement.

Any system running for a period of time, there must be default and setback in some way.

Are there any errors or ambiguity in this statement?

• angel8848

Cantonese
    I'm sorry for that. I meant to say a certain political system, after being adopted for a long time, there must be some bugs or defacts. But somehow I came up with the above sentence. So it doesn't make sense to you all I suppose. I was wondering if I shouldn't have made it because it doesn't make sense to you or if you could correct it. I really appreciate you help.

Last edited:
    English - US
    I would caution the use of "always." While bugs and defects are normally found in new systems, it is conceivable that a new system could be developed that was bug free.
    Another caution is that bugs and defects normally are discovered in newly implemented systems and that after running for a period of time, they are discovered and corrections or bug fixes are made. Large, very complex systems often take longer to debug than smaller, simpler systems.

angel8848

Cantonese
    Thanks a lot for your answer, DadLac. How about in an old system, for example, a political system, no matter democratic or autocratic, there is always something that doesn't work out. What would be the better way to say it?

English - US
    Perhaps in such systems it is not that they are flawed so much as they need to change as societies change. Societies are not inanimate changeless entities, they are continually in a state of flux and thus whatever political system is in place, it too must be changing constantly to keep up with the needs of the society it serves.