Any word to describe a trouble maker who is wanting attention so much?

< Previous | Next >

karlalou

Banned
母国語:日本語
Hi everyone,

Is there any word in English to describe a trouble maker who is just wanting attention so much?

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I can't think of a word that describes someone who both wants a lot of attention and causes trouble.
    One word for someone who does things to get attention is show-off.

Someone who makes trouble may be a troublemaker, as Disturbance has suggested.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I agree that it's hard to fit all of it into one word.

Reading it, "rabble-rouser" came to mind, but that is a pretty strong word, in my opinion.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Rabble-rouser is a good suggestion if they make trouble by stirring up a large number of people.

I see that we need a clearer idea of what karlalou means by 'troublemaker'.
    What do you have in mind, karlalou? What do these people do to cause trouble and attract attention?

Aardvark01

British English (Midlands)
    What context/what kind of sentence do you want to use the expression in?

When a child is demanding attention and being disruptive we say they are 'throwing a tantrum' or 'having a paddy'.
    We might call grown ups 'high maintenance' but only in certain contexts.

karlalou

Banned
    母国語:日本語
    Thanks for responses, everyone.
    I think it's rabble-rouser in a smaller scale, but rabble-rouser also seems good for what I'm looking for.
    But more specifically, it's someone like a child trying to get his parents' or older sibling's attention by misbehaving and irritating them intentionally.

Oh, it's more like 'high maintenance' that I'm looking for. Someone pretending to be .. like still a cute and precious small kid. Thank you. :)

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    Yes, on a smaller scale perhaps. Rabble rouser has the right tone but I don't think it works in literal terms. What are the rabble? They are the hoi polloi, the common people, the people on the street, the working class. A rabble rouser is someone who provokes them into rebellion, into riot. I don't think that is what you mean.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Red's right about the meaning and use of 'rabble-rouser' - it's more a political and social-activism term.
    'Spoilt brat' might fit and can be effectively used for adults too, although it slightly lacks intentional aspect.
    Grown-ups who need attention and make trouble for their own amusement can be called 'stirrers'. Rather like the real life version of on-line 'trolls'.
    'Don't take any notice of him he's stirring us up'.

I associate 'high-maintenance' with relationships - a very demanding partner who needs great emotional investment. It might have other nuances elsewhere.

Cielle Bieh

English - American
    Hi everyone,

Is there any word in English to describe a trouble maker who is just wanting attention so much?
    Histrionic personality disorder is characterized by a long-standing pattern of attention seeking behavior and extreme "emotionality."
    Someone with histrionic personality disorder wants to be the center of attention in any group of people, and feel uncomfortable when they are not.

Histrionic itself is defined as an adjective as "overly theatrical or melodramatic in character or style."
    As a noun, it means "exaggerated dramatic behavior designed to attract attention."

Hope that helps ;)

< Previous | Next >