anybody or nobody in a sentence

igma

Banned
spanish

Hi

Can anyone tell me if it´s correct to use "nobody" or "anybody" in the following sentence?

The government denied that nobody/anybody died during the war.

Thank you.

• owlman5

English-US
    If the government denies that nobody died, it is doing a tricky thing. It is much clearer to say "The government denied that anybody died during the war."

Gwan

New Zealand, English
    If the government denies that nobody died, it is doing a tricky thing. It is much clearer to say "The government denied that anybody died during the war."
    It's clearer if that's what the government wants to say (and that is the most likely scenario) but 'nobody' is possible, e.g.

The troops from Swineland occupied Newtopia last June, in what Swineland officials describe as a 'bloodless intervention'. The government of Newtopia, however, deny that nobody died in the war, pointing to a spike in deaths of ostensibly natural causes amongst the old and vulnerable inhabitants of the country.

igma

Banned
    spanish
    I really appreciate both of your efforts but I still can´t figure it out

I can´t see the difference between them

Sorry!

Gwan

New Zealand, English
    Sorry to confuse you.

The government denied that nobody died - the government says that at least one person died
    The government denied that anybody died - the government says that zero people died

< Previous | Next >