anybody smart isn’t a believer in xxx

failbetter

Chinese - Mandarin
The broader public’s failure to appreciate the risks of climate change is part of what makes it such a good area for investing, according to Schauble. He says that’s especially true in the U.S. “There is not a single other country where anybody smart isn’t a believer in these things,” Schauble says. “If you can see something that other people just refuse to see, and you can make decisions on that basis, I suspect over the longer term that is going to put you in good stead.”
Here is the link of the article.

Does the colored text mean not every smart person in America is a believer in the risks of climate change?

Does "anybody smart isn’t a believer in xxx" mean "not every smart person is a believer in xxx"?

Last edited:
  • Barque

Tamil
    Does the colored text mean none of the smart persons in America believes in the risks of climate change?
    It implies there are a lot of people in America who don't appreciate the risks of climate change.
    “There is not a single other country where anybody smart isn’t a believer in these things,”
    This can be rephrased as: In every other country, everyone who is smart believes in these things. As I said, that implies that in America even smart people don't always understand the risks.

Last edited:

failbetter

Chinese - Mandarin
    It implies there are a lot of people in America who don;t appreciate the risks of climate change.

This can be rephrased as: In every other country, everyone who is smart believes in these things. As I said, that implies that in America even smart people don't always understand the risks.
    Thank you. May I ask whether "anybody smart isn’t a believer in xxx" means "not every smart person is a believer in xxx"?

Rival

English - UK
    Thank you. May I ask whether "anybody smart isn’t a believer in xxx" means "not every smart person is a believer in xxx"?
    Removing the double negative, the red sentence can be re-phrased to mean "Every smart person in every single country in the world, except America, is a believer in these things",
    [side comment removed - DonnyB - moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

Barque

Tamil
    May I ask whether "anybody smart isn’t a believer in xxx" means "not every smart person is a believer in xxx"?
    You need to read the sentence as a whole. It's sometimes difficult to explain the meaning of a phrase in isolation because it may take its meaning from the rest of the sentence.

There is not a single other country where anybody smart isn’t a believer in these things.
    =
    There's no country where a smart person doesn't believe in these things.
    =
    A country where a smart person doesn't believe in these things doesn't exist.

failbetter

Chinese - Mandarin
    Removing the double negative, the red sentence can be re-phrased to mean "Every smart person in every single country in the world, except America, is a believer in these things"
    Thank you, but I can think of another way to remove the double negative:
    There is not a single other country where anybody smart is not a believer in these things.
    ==> There is a single other country where anybody smart is a believer in these things.
    This way, the sentence seems to take on a meaning different from your explanation.

failbetter

Chinese - Mandarin
    I got it. The colored text means:
    There is not a single country (except America) where anybody smart is not a believer in these things.
    ==> In every country (except America), anybody smart is a believer in these things.

Rival

English - UK
    ==> In every country (except America), anybody smart is a believer in these things.
    It's actually a little stronger than that --
    In every country (except America), every smart person is a believer in these things.

[Side comment removed. DonnyB - moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >