anymore / no more

• jogurt

We expect you to tell us what you think first, then we'll be happy to help you.
    Hello,
    in this particular example, I didn't have a clue what would be the correct solution. At school I've been taught to use only one negative in an English sentence but everytime the verb and a pronoun were concerned.

So is it true that generally, you cannot find two negatives in one sentence?

LV4-26

Hello,
    in this particular example, I didn't have a clue what would be the correct solution. At school I've been taught to use only one negative in an English sentence but everytime the verb and a pronoun were concerned.

Yes, it's true.

The only exception is when you really mean it.
    But there was no need to do it no more.
    is most likely to be understood as an incorrect version of
    But there was no need to do it any more.
    as suggested above.

But, of course, it could mean...
    There was no need to stop doing it.
    In which case, it wouldn't be incorrect. But it would certainly be awkward.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hello,

Welcome to the forum, jogurt. :)

Quite a few people have asked questions about this sort of construction. You can take advantage of their questions and the answers they received by reading these previous threads.

If you put double negative into the search box at the top of the page, it will take you to a definition and a list of relevant threads. Searching for double negatives in the plural will find more threads on the subject.

These threads discuss both the rule you cite above and the exceptions mentioned by LV4-26.

Of course, if you have a question about what it said in any thread, you are welcome to add it to the end. :)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >