Anyone can't say about this. vs No one can say about this.

rkatk

Korean
Anyone can't say about this. No one can say about this.

Could anyone tell me why the first sentence is wrong?

I don't know why <any> can't be be followed by <negative>?

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    You've answered our own question. The first sentence is wrong because we don't use a negative after "anyone" in that type of sentence. We negate "anyone" by using "no one."

We can, however, say something like this:

I have ice cream for everyone. If anyone can't eat dairy products, there is also a vegan option.

It might not be grammatically perfect, and purists would be more likely to say "For anyone who can't...," but the construction is common enough.

cidertree

Béarla na hÉireann (Hiberno-English)
    I agree, the first is incorrect, but the second is also: It should be "No one can say anything about this,"

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    It's difficult to say how the second sentence might be corrected (or possibly might even be correct) without any context.

cidertree

Béarla na hÉireann (Hiberno-English)
    I can't imagine a context in which it would be correct. What did you have in mind?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Let's see what the OP comes up with.If the intended meaning is "No one can say anything about this" or "No one can speak about this," then my contrived context that might a different meaning will be irrelevant here.

rkatk

Korean
    I agree, the first is incorrect, but the second is also: It should be "No one can say anything about this,"
    Thank you for the correction.

You've answered our own question. The first sentence is wrong because we don't use a negative after "anyone" in that type of sentence. We negate "anyone" by using "no one."

We can, however, say something like this:

I have ice cream for everyone. If anyone can't eat dairy products, there is also a vegan option.

It might not be grammatically perfect, and purists would be more likely to say "For anyone who can't...," but the construction is common enough.
    Thank you for enlightening me.

Thank you for the explanation. I understand that grammar should be based on the usage, still could I ask why? As a foreign English learner, I just want to find out the reason why.

You are right. I forgot to write <anything>. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: