anyone else? or someone else?

julyAnna

SPANISH COLOMBIA
Hi everybody
I'd like to know the difference that theres is between "anyone else? or someone else?
Thanks in advance, martha

• Reina140

Banned
    USA--English
    No hay mucho de diferencia entre los dos.

Anyone es más general.

I have a secret and I have to tell someone. (anyone would be wrong here)

Is there anyone else who would like to make a statement. (someone could work here)

Es más difícil explicartelo . . . quizás alguien tendrá un explicación mejor.

PrinceGuillermo

English, England
    Hola,

La diferencia depende de si la frase es positiva o negativa, o si es una pregunta o una afirmacion, por ejemplo:

Pregunta: Has anyone/anybody else decided to come with us?

Respuesta: Yes, someone/somebody else is coming with us.

stooge1970

English/USA
    Is there anyone else who would like to make a statement. (someone could work here)
    Personally, I would only say "someone" in this context if I hear a voice or some movement that lets me know that there is indeed someone who wants to make a statement. So, we're already expecting the answer to be "yes". If you use "anyone", you aren't sure what the answer will be.

Likewise, in PrinceGuillermo's example, if I'm in a group that is supposed to be just 10 people, and I count 11 heads, I might ask: "Has someone else decided to come with us?" even though it is a question, because I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, and I'm just trying to figure out who this person is.

So I think both PrinceGuillermo and Reina are right, but at the same time it's not always as simple as "question vs. statement" or "general vs. specific". Anyway, that's how I used to explain it to my advanced students. Does that make any sense? At any rate, this subtle nuance is often lost in everyday language.

Best.

< Previous | Next >