..., anyone? [offers/invitations]

< Previous | Next >

Li'l Bull

Spanish (Spain)
Hi, native speakers of English!

You're probably familiar with the slogan "Fun, anyone?" from a well-known video games console.

Is this used to offer something to someone? (i.e. Would you like to have fun?)

Is it very informal?

What can you put before the comma, just a word (e.g. "Biscuits, anyone?"), or also phrases?

A few examples would come in handy.

Thank you in advance.

• joanvillafane

U.S. English
    The most common phrase that comes to mind is, "Tennis, anyone?"
    I think it's frequently used in offering food to guests. A single word or a phrase would both fit.
    A walk on the beach, anyone?

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Some of us don't play video games. :rolleyes:

But yes, it's common in either offering something to several people ("Coffee, anyone?") or asking if someone would like to participate in something ("A little poker, anyone?").

Li'l Bull

Spanish (Spain)
    Some of us don't play video games. :rolleyes:

But yes, it's common in either offering something to several people ("Coffee, anyone?") or asking if someone would like to participate in something ("A little poker, anyone?").
    Thanks, Parla. I don't play video games either, but that's the power of advertising :).

By the way, is that really so? I mean, what you said about "A little poker, anyone?" being used to ask only one person.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    We use the "______, anyone?" phrase only when we are speaking to a group (three or more people). We wouldn't say "Coffee, anyone?" or "Poker, anyone?" to one person or two people.

< Previous | Next >