anyone who meets a certain rough criteria...

Moi-Myself

Persian
Hi guys...
What would it be...?
Anyone who meets a certain rough criteria...
Here's my shot:
Whoever has the high standard...
or
Whoever has the expected conditions...

Any help would be appreciated...?
Thanks...

• Moi-Myself

Persian
    Yes of course, but all the complete context is :

In relation to love specifically, she suggested that potential lover my be "anyone who meets a certain rough criteria", generally including similarity of ethnic, racial and social economic status...

Hope it helps...
    Thanks...

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Yes, it does help. We don't ask for context just to prove that we can make demands. We ask for it because we can't answer questions properly without it. In this case, all of your original options could be correct in some context.

Here, I would use criteria as you have it.

Standard suggests that there is a quality level this person must meet. These are not quality factors. For example, she wants similarity of racial background. That doesn't mean that that she thinks one race is better than another in general. It only means that she will consider this in selecting a potential lover.

Conditions, in the context of a person having them, is usually used in discussing medical conditions. If she requires a potential lover to have high blood pressure, to have an underactive thyroid gland, and to be nearsighted, those are conditions. The other items are not.

That said, the word criteria is plural. It should not have an article. If there is only one, it is a criterion.

Moi-Myself

Persian
    The reason I hadn't posted the complete context was I thought it's not relevant and necessary for what I meant... Aaaaaaaaand I was wrong...:)

Thanks a lot for your perfect explication which meets the certain criteria ...;)

Prairiefire

US (Midwest) - English
    One more point: "rough" in this case means "approximate." The clues for that are in the phrase that follows: "...generally including similarity..." Notice the writer said generally rather than specifically, and similar rather than identical or exact.)

So, no, I would not paraphrase the clause as "Whoever has the high standard' or "Whoever has the expected conditions." I think the meaning of "rough criteria" is closer to "approximate standards," and I think that the person is looking for "whoever comes closest to having the expected attributes."

Egmont

English - U.S.
    ...I think that the person is looking for "whoever comes closest to having the expected attributes."
    I agree that attributes is a good word to use here. Characteristics could be, also. However, both of those describe the person himself or herself. Criteria are decision factors that the other person uses. Having a specific attribute can be a criterion.

Moi-Myself

Persian
    Wow... I probably could never have understood the hidden angles of this sentence if it wouldn't have been analyzed like you've done...

Enjoyed reading them...
    Thanks all...:)

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    "Anyone who meets a certain rough criteria" is unidiomatic. The singular of criteria is criterion; it should be anyone who meets certain rough criteria.

As people have explained it means anyone with most of a particular set of attributes.

< Previous | Next >