Anything short of a cannon fire

thetazuo

Chinese - China
I am playing a video game called Dishonored, in which I am playing a character called Daud. He is an leading assassin who is in charge of a gang of assassins in Dunwall city. Another force called Overseers are fighting Daud's gang.
How Daud is to be out on an important mission and he is to leave his base. Before his departure, he has had a mini conversation with one of his fellow assassins. Here goes the dialogue:
Fellow assassin: This will hold while we're away. Anything short of cannon fire.
Daud: Let's hope it won't come to that.

My question is: does "anything short of cannon fire" mean "this base will withstand any attack except cannon fire"?

Thank you.

• Glenfarclas

English (American)
    Yes, that's correct. Also, note that "short of cannon fire" is correct, while "short of a cannon fire," as in your title, is incorrect because "fire" is uncountable in this sense.

Myridon

English - US
    Not quite. The base will withstand any attacks less than cannon fire.
    "Except cannon fire" implies that it can survive a nuclear missile but has a special weakness for cannon fire.

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    Not quite. The base will withstand any attacks less than cannon fire.
    "Except cannon fire" implies that it can survive a nuclear missile but has a special weakness for cannon fire.
    Fair enough. I had assumed that this took place in a world in which cannons were the most powerful weapons available, but perhaps this is not so.

thetazuo

Chinese - China
    Fair enough. I had assumed that this took place in a world in which cannons were the most powerful weapons available, but perhaps this is not so.
    Thank you both. Your assumption is right. I forgot to mention that the game is set in 19th century when cannons were the most powerful weapons available.

< Previous | Next >