anytime (you're welcome)

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by ho2lly, Dec 8, 2010.

1. ho2lly Senior Member

France
    french
    Bonsoir, je ne comprend pas le terme anytime dans le contexte suivant et surtout comment le traduire:

"I'm sorry. That was rude." He said looking at her sincerely. "But you shouldn't be with him if he makes you feel like crap. You know you could do better, right? You deserve better."

"Thanks." She whispered tears glimmering in her eyes.

"Anytime."​

Merci d'avance pour votre aide.​

2. Lambency Member

Ontario, Canada
    English- Canadian
    In this context, 'anytime' is a shortened way of saying, "It's not a problem. I would be willing to do this anytime you need me to" or something to that effect. It's a very thoughtful, kind gesture.

'This' refers to boosting her morale, which he has done in the lines, "But you shouldn't be with him if he makes you feel like crap. You know you could do better, right? You deserve better."

3. dasubergeek Senior Member

English - US; French - CH
    "Anytime" est un façon familier de dire "you're welcome". Je le traduirais par "pas de quoi".

4. ho2lly Senior Member

France
    french
    Merci beaucoup pour votre aide Lambency et dasubergeek.

5. LART01

LART01 Senior Member

La Haye Pays-Bas
    French-France
    or= je t'en prie
    sounds probably a little more delicate with what the characters are going through
    "pas de quoi" could be interpreted as "don't mention such a trifle"

6. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

Generally speaking, I think the closest translation for anytime would be "à ton/votre service", which expresses the exact idea implied in I would be willing to do this anytime you need me to (Lambency).

However, I'm afraid it may sound a bit too casual in such a "solemn" situation.

I'd go for something like "tu peux/pourras (toujours) compter sur moi", although it may be a bit long. Or maybe "je suis avec toi".

Well, that's the gist anyway.

7. Jasmine tea Senior Member

French - France
    Je serai toujours là pour toi... traduis peut-etre bien ce "anytime"

8. Talvi New Member

Toulouse
    English - UK
    What is the equilivant for anytime, as a response to thank-you? I know avec plaisir and de rien, but is there a direct translation?

+ Merci pour quelquechose/ Thanks for.......

-................................../ Anytime

Merci en avance!

9. jetset

jetset Senior Member

France\Nice
    French
    There are already some threads about this, like here.
    Anyway, "je vous en prie / je t'en prie" is a generic phrase you can use in most cases.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2015
  10. whims Senior Member

Paris
    french (France)
    quand tu veux