Anziché spedirmi un ottimo bollitore inglese

macforever

Italian
Ho provato un senso di delusione nell'aprire un pacco postale nel quale ho trovato una confezione di terriccio anziché un bollitore inglese di buona fattura.
"Anziché spedirmi un ottimo bollitore inglese, Amazon mi ha fatto avere una confezione di terriccio per piante e bonsai".
"Instead of dispatching an excellent made in England kettle, I got from Amazon a package of topsoil for plants and bonsai".

• Starless74

Ciao,
    mi limito a osservare che nella traduzione c'è un anacoluto che nella frase italiana non c'è.
    Nella prima metà il soggetto sottinteso è Amazon (instead of dispatching...), nella seconda "io" (I got...);
    perciò una delle due va cambiata:

Instead of dispatching... → Amazon sent me...
    Instead of receiving... → I got... (personalmente preferisco questa).

Il resto lo lascio doverosamente ai madrelingua, attendi le loro risposte. ;)

Last edited:

rrose17

Canada, English
    I'm not so strict perhaps as Starless :D , so maybe something like
    Instead of getting the lovely English kettle I ordered, Amazon sent me some topsoil and a bonsai.

rrose17

Canada, English
    I know but I thought it had more punch the way I wrote it. :cool: Can you say potting soil? That also would work. In any case I think the “for plants” is understood.

rrose17

Canada, English
    I thought so too. What else would it be for? That’s why I said it was implied or understood. But of course add it if you like Mac.

rrose17

Canada, English
    Oh, no I didn’t understand it that way. I thought he got an actual bonsai and a bag of soil! Just re-read the Italian :oops: sorry. So yeah, potting soil for plants and bonsais

Bookmom

To emphasize the ironic difference between what was ordered and what was received, I'd go with a simple bag of dirt.
    "Anziché spedirmi un ottimo bollitore inglese, Amazon mi ha fatto avere una confezione di terriccio per piante e bonsai".
    Rather than a finely crafted English (Tea?) kettle, Amazon delivered a bag of dirt.

theartichoke

English - Canada
    To emphasize the ironic difference between what was ordered and what was received, I'd go with a simple bag of dirt.
    Rather than a finely crafted English (Tea?) kettle, Amazon delivered a bag of dirt.

I was just about to say that I'd probably leave out the first verb, just as you've done: Rather than the fine British-made kettle I ordered, Amazon sent me a bag of potting soil. "Bag of dirt" is undeniably funnier, but potentially confusing. :D Early in lockdown here, there was a story on the news of a local woman who ordered a cat dish and, much to her alarm, received a stun gun, which are illegal in Canada.