apart from...as well

< Previous | Next >

jiamajia

Mandarin
You might have noticed I like playing basketball apart from baseball as well.

--------------------------------

Is 'as well' acceptably redundant there, or it should not be there at all?

Thank you.

• Copyright

American English
    Probably drop it. And restructure the sentence while you're at it - the "apart from baseball" is a bit awkward in that position.

Apart from playing baseball, I like playing basketball.

jiamajia

Mandarin
    Probably drop it. And restructure the sentence while you're at it - the "apart from baseball" is a bit awkward in that position.

Apart from playing baseball, I like playing basketball.
    Thank you very much.
    It rings a bell. How about 'you might have noticed I like playing baseball as well as basketball' ? Any nuance in meaning?

Copyright

American English
    You need to deliver it with a comma after baseball: You might have noticed I like playing baseball, as well as basketball.

This differentiates it from the qualitative statement You might have noticed I play baseball as well as I play basketball.

jiamajia

Mandarin
    You need to deliver it with a comma after baseball: You might have noticed I like playing baseball, as well as basketball.

This differentiates it from the qualitative statement You might have noticed I play baseball as well as I play basketball.
    I see. Thank you again.

Copyright

American English
    Thinking about it some more, I suppose I'm being overly cautious. I think the circumstances will have most people thinking you play both sports... and that you're not saying how well you play them.

< Previous | Next >