apartment for me and my brother/my brother and I/my brother

< Previous | Next >

fdk47

Tagalog
I've read other similar threads, but I'd like native speaker's opinion.

"I'm looking for an apartment for me and my brother/my brother and I/my brother and me."

This is what I think, but if I'm wrong, please correct me:

A: "I'm looking for an apartment for me and my brother." is colloquial, and some native speakers speak this way.

B: "I'm looking for an apartment for my brother and I." is grammatically correct, and some native speakers speak this way, but it can sound old fashioned to some native speakers who don't speak this way. It is less common than A.

C:"I'm looking for an apartment for my brother and me." is colloquial, and probably the most widely used sentence among three.

Thank you.

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    C -- "I'm looking for an apartment for my brother and me" -- is the only one of your options that's correct.

sdgraham

USA English
    B: "I'm looking for an apartment for my brother and I." is grammatically correct,
    :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

No it is NOT correct. "I" cannot be the object of a preposition. We have multiple previous threads on this abomination.

"I'm looking for an apartment for my brother and me." is colloquial, and probably the most widely used sentence among three.
    It's not colloquial. It's perfectly correct standard English.

[cross-posted]

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    A and C are grammatically correct. Politeness often means that people will put someone else first and themselves second, so C is preferred for that reason.

"I am looking for an apartment for (my brother and) I." This is incorrect, whether or not we insert "my brother and" between for and I. However, many people think that "and I" is more correct thn "and me" but it is not.

Cross posted:D

fdk47

Tagalog
    Thank you so much for correcting my misunderstanding, everyone.

I'm trying to figure out how I got it wrong. Is this one of these constructions that some native speakers use, whether they know it's wrong or not?
    Or, could there be any chance for AE/BE difference, if at all?

When I google "dinner for my brother and I", I get around 90000 results (which can be by native speakers or not) and one example is by an American woman "My parents worked crazy hours so I often had to make dinner for my brother and I. "

http://www.anexpatcooks.com/about

It would help me greatly, if you could tell me whether this is really rare, or you hear it said by some native speakers sometimes, or sounds totally wrong and never heard of it, etc.

Thank you.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    Actually, there are only 45 results. Yes, people say it, but that doesn't mean it's correct grammar. See sdgraham's comment (post #3) above.

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    [...] Is this one of these constructions that some native speakers use, whether they know it's wrong or not?
    Or, could there be any chance for AE/BE difference, if at all?
    No, there's no AE/BE difference. I agree with everyone's answers above. It's an error that is heard on both sides of the Pond.

I don't think it's a case of people using it even though they know it's wrong. I'd say they don't know it's wrong, or they just don't give it any thought at all. It probably arises from kids saying, for example, "Me and my brother went ...". (Don't ask me why they say that; maybe they think of themselves objectively, rather than subjectively). Parents and teachers then correct them: 'It's not "Me and my brother"; it's "My brother and I"'. From that point on, thinking that "Me and my brother" is always wrong, they then incorrectly say "My brother and I" even when it's an object phrase.

Of course, that mistake might be less frequent if the people correcting them sat them down and explained the grammar to them every time they did it — but hey, life doesn't work that way!;)

Ws:)

fdk47

Tagalog
    Thank you again, Florentina, sdgraham, Julian, RM1, and Wordsmyth for your insights and explanations!
    Next time I hear native speakers make this type of mistakes, I will not be inclined to think that they are correct.
    You saved my skills from declining and that's a big deal! Thanks again!

< Previous | Next >