apocryphal

europefranc

Italian
Hi everybody,

what's the meaning of acrocryphal?

The sentence is :

"The most powerful part of the story is undoubetedly the tale of heroic S. George fighting and killing a dangerous dragon and rescuing a beautiful princess, although this is undoubtedly acrocryphal".

Thanks a lot

• maxiogee

Banned
    imithe
    It comes from the Greek for "hidden writings" and is mainly known by the use of "The Apocrypha" in the Bible. It is generally taken to mean "not considered genuine".

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    An apocryphal idea or story is one that is not included in a canon, or (in the modern world) has not yet been made orthodox by aggressive repetition by propagandists.

Apocryphal notions (St George killed the dragon) can either be true (payback is a bitch) or untrue (Bush lied, people died).

The Protestant Bibles consider the book of Judith apocryphal, but the Catholic Bible includes it.

A recent popular movement too elevate a "true" bit of Apocrypha to orthodoxy is the Gnostic Gospel of Mary Magdelene, which I have no doubt will enter the unofficial Canon as though it were gospel-- it answers needs created by recent advances in feminism.

An example of "untrue" apocrypha is the Da Vinci Code phenom. It (like the Shroud of Turin?) was created out of whole cloth.

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    Charles Costante said:
    Isn't it supposed to be apocryphal? It means of questionable authenticity.
    Good eye, Charles. Mayhap I answered a question that wasn't even asked. The subject all along may have been some arcane variant of vertigo.

You little ripper!

Australian English
    foxfirebrand said:
    Good eye, Charles. Mayhap I answered a question that wasn't even asked. The subject all along may have been some arcane variant of vertigo.
    There are 3 Google listings for acocryphal but I presume they're errors. :D

< Previous | Next >