apologize about

duden

Slovak
Hi,

is it possible to say "apologize about something" instead of "for something"?

Thanks

• river

U.S. English
    Safe bet: Apologize to;apologize for

I never hear "apologize about." But I do hear "About last night, I want to apologize."

OldMike

USA, English
    No, I don't think so. It should be "I want to apologise for the misunderstanding we had last week"; "I want to apologise for the incident yesterday." "Apologize about something" sounds weird to me.

Sallyb36

British UK
    Maybe a US/BE difference, I don't know. It sounds fine to my ears to say apologise about something. Obviously apologise for is fine as well. I would say I want to apologise about the noise last night, or I want to apologise for the noise last night, either would be fine for me.

Loob

English UK
    I agree with Sallyb36: both "about" and "for" are possible, in BrE at least.

I think I distinguish between them in the following way:
    • I apologise "for" something when I'm taking sole responsibility: I apologise about the noise last night: it was my 18th birthday party
    • I apologise "about" something when I'm sharing the blame with others: I apologise about the noise last night - my friends got a bit over-excited
    Duden, if you give some examples, as panj asked, we could let you know which sounds better in particular contexts.

Loob

labaz

English
    You can definitely use APOLOGIZE ABOUT. He apologized about the noise. I apologize about the other day. Maybe my English is really bad being from Leeds and all but you can definitely use it , even if its classed as colloquial use.

Loob

English UK
    Labaz's resuscitation of this thread has highlighted the fact that I made a whoopsie in my post in it:

I think I distinguish between them in the following way:
    • I apologise "for" something when I'm taking sole responsibility: I apologise about for the noise last night: it was my 18th birthday party
    • I apologise "about" something when I'm sharing the blame with others: I apologise about the noise last night - my friends got a bit over-excited
    I still think that's the essential difference, however...

medeo

spain spanish
    But would you say that "apologise about sth" is more informal whereas "apologise for" would be used for semi-formal or formal languaje? For instance, for writings, which would be better?

JustKate

Moderate Mod
    On the earlier posts there was some speculation that this might be an AmE-BE difference. All I can say is that if that's so, I'm not aware of it and I speak AmE. They both sound fine to me and equally formal. I think apologize for is probably a bit more common, so perhaps that's your best bet, Medeo.

eli7

Persian (Farsi)
    Is this sentence correct?:
    "I apologize to you"
    or maybe the pronoun is not necessary...> I apologize you.
    Which one is correct?

Loob

English UK
    Response to post 13

Hello eli7 -

We apologize to someone; we don't 'apologize someone'.

So it's:
    "I apologize to you." :tick:
    "I apologize you." :cross:

< Previous | Next >