Apologize, apology, or apologies [for this error]

leodera 69

urdu
Hello

My first post, I have a lot of problems with my English and hope to find the answers here, here is the first one:

Which one the most suitable to say sorry such as at the end of letter:

Apologize/apology/apologies for this error.

Thanks
leo

• SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    :) Welcome to the forum, leodera 69.

You can say
    I apologize for this error
    Please accept my apology for this error
    Wait for more suggestions.

Copyright

American English
    No more suggestions needed. These are great. I always feel you need a personal element in an apology, which you have with "I" or "my" in these two perfect sentences.

You're going to want to add full stops, of course, but you can't expect SwissPete to do it all for you. :)

Yes, welcome to the forum.

leodera 69

urdu
    Thanks SwissPete and Copyright. Can't we say it: Many apologies for the error. Is this common or sounds excessive to say a great humble of sorry?.

Sorry too much asking.

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    The problem with written language is there there is none of the nuance of spoken language, so I think you need to write a little differently than you might speak to get the same sincerity across -- and prevent the reader from interpreting your words as a little colder than you intend them.

So although "My apologies for the error" might seem to be all right, I think some people (like me) will consider it just a stock phrase of apology, perhaps lacking in warmth and sincerity. Both of SwissPete's suggestions are better for that reason.

Copyright

American English
    You could end your letter thus:
    'With apologies for the error,
    Yours sincerely,
    Leodera.'
    Then it becomes a swan song... with the apology the last lingering thought in your reader's mind... and leading up to your name, you miscreant. :)

At least when you say "I apologize for this error" or "Please accept my apology for this error," you have contained the apology in a single sentence and kept it separate from your closing and your name.

whynottail

Chinese
    ...So although "My apologies for the error" might seem to be all right, I think some people (like me) will consider it just a stock phrase of apology, perhaps lacking in warmth and sincerity.... .
    We say- "My thanks to you for your help." instead of "My thank to you for your help."

It is similar to- "My apologies to you for the error."

Neither sounds insincere to me.

Copyright

American English
    We say- "My thanks to you for your help." instead of "My thank to you for your help."

It is similar to- "My apologies to you for the error."

Neither sounds insincere to me.
    It is a very small -- and perhaps personal -- thing that in that form, I would leave out "to you" and say,My apologies for the error. As I say, it may just be me: My apologies to you for the error seems ... something. Antiquated? Too much? I don't know, just something. My apologies -- I'm not giving you very good reasons. :)

< Previous | Next >