apologize for a lengthy email

< Previous | Next >

stcopy

Chinese
How apologize for an lenthy email?

Is it weird to say in the end of the email that " I apologize (am sorry) in advance for the lengthy email"?

• airelibre

English - London
    It is fine to write at the start (not the end) of an email:
    I apologize in advance for the lengthy email.

sdgraham

USA English
    Yes, it's really weird.

How can something at the end of a message "apologize in advance?":confused::confused:

Note that we have many, many threads regarding "in advance."

owlman5

English-US
    I missed "at the end" in your first post, stcopy. I agree with the others that this is the wrong place to use that sentence.

Your sentence is fine at the beginning of the email. That way, you are apologizing "in advance" for the length of the following email.

Last edited:

stcopy

Chinese
    I missed "at the end" in your first post, stcopy. I agree with the others that this is the wrong place to use that sentence.

Your sentence is fine at the beginning of the email. That way, you are apologizing "in advance" for the length of the following email.
    Thanks, both sdgrahamadn owlman5. So it is fine to write 'I apologize for the lenthy email‘ if i put it at the end of my email?

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I don't know. I think it's cultural.

From owlman: I apologize in advance for the lengthy e-mail. (in closing).
    I see nothing wrong with apologizing in closing, in advance, before closing your e-mail.

I also see nothing wrong with apologizing upfront, if you think the e-mail will get long.
    I apologize in advance---this e-mail may be get long.

I don't see any hard-and-fast rules on this.

< Previous | Next >