apologize

TerryWang

Taiwan
Which of the following sentences is most frequently used (formally or informally)?
1. I apologize, if I do something wrong.
2. I will apologize, if I do something wrong.
3. I apologize, if I did something wrong.
4. I apologize, if I have done something wrong.
5. I would apologize, if I did something wrong.
In my opinion, I think 2. is correct because I am influenced by the grammar rule:"If I......, I will......... and maybe 5. is okay too. How do you think. Thanks a lot.:)

• Anjie

Jamaica
    Which of the following sentences is most frequently used (formally or informally)?
    In my opinion, I think 2. is correct because I am influenced by the grammar rule:"If I......, I will......... and maybe 5. is okay too. How do you think. Thanks a lot.:)
    Hi, to me 1 is more of somebody telling how they are and respond to situations. #'s 2 and 5 mean the same thing: they are advising someone what they would do if something happens ( didn't happen yet )

#3 and #4 is an actual apology but the apologizer isn't sure of what he/she did. ( past tense)

So to me it depends more on the context of the situation, thus, one couldn't say which is more used because they all are used at different times in different instances. The word "apologize" in itself is very formal so all your sentences sound formal the informal way of apologizing is saying "sorry". Cheers ;)

petereid

english
    1. I apologize if I do something wrong.:tick:
    2. I will apologize if I do something wrong.:tick:
    3. I apologize if I did something wrong.:tick:
    4. I apologize if I have done something wrong.:tick:
    5. I would apologize if I did something wrong.:tick:
    I am assuming that you need each whole sentence to be considered.
    They are all good.
    I have removed the confusing commas

mirx

Banned
    Español

All of them are correct and are used in different situations, by this I mean that we can not compare them because they are used diffeeently, as for the rule you quote you're right, but all your other senteces follow similar rules as well, they're all correct

TerryWang

Taiwan
    Thanks a million. Because I am not a native English user, I couldn't recognize the differences between them too well. All I can do is follow the grammar book. Now all these suggestions help me a lot!:)

< Previous | Next >