apologize

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
Hi,
I have a doubt. My books says it is “apologizing” but I think it should be “apologize”.
Please tell me if I am right?
“They quickly opened it and found a note to apologize/apologizing profusely for “borrowing’ their car.”
Thanks.

• mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Hi, nzfauna.
    Please tell me why "a note to apologize" is not accepted while it has the same meaning as "a note that appolizes" or "a note apologizing".
    Thanks.

Packard

USA, English
    “They quickly opened it and found a note to apologize/apologizing profusely for “borrowing’ their car.”

“They quickly opened it and found a note to profusely apologize/apologizing for “borrowing’ their car.”

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Thank you, Packard.
    I understand now but this time I am wondering about the position of "profusely". Is it an adverb? Does it modify "apologize"? Why do I have to put it in different positions?
    If I changed "profusely" with "very much", would I have the same positions?
    Thanks.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Yes, "profusely" modifies "apologize". You don't have to put it in different positions. You could say:

"I found a note from my neighbour profusely apologizing for shovelling all of his snow into my driveway" OR
    "I found a note from my neighbour apologizing profusely for shovelling all of his snow into my driveway"

The most common way to say it would be as in my second sentence but both would be correct.

Yes, you could use "very much" in place of profusely but you have to be careful with the context.

Phil-Olly

Scotland, English
    I don't think there's anything wrong with "found a note to apologize for borrowing..."
    But it's the addition of "profusely" that makes this construction awkward.
    Which is why "found a note apologizing profusely ..." is better.

< Previous | Next >