Apology anticipated

Tashlima

Hindi
One friend of mine posted a video on Facebook and wrote- sharing an old video with poor audio quality. Apologies anticipated.
What she means by apologies anticipated? I sent this usage correct?
Also, when do we use apology accepted/excepted.

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I agree that "Apologies anticipated" sounds very odd: I'm not at all sure what it's intended to mean.

But if she'd put something like "Apologies for the poor quality", then her viewers might post the message "Apology accepted". "Apology excepted" doesn't make sense there.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Apologies anticipated.
    In that context I would imagine she meant "apologies in advance". She isn't waiting for complaints, but is apologising in advance (before Facebook users have even seen the video).

Was your friend Italian?

Last edited:

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    DonnyB when do we use apology excepted
    We don't. Or at least, I don't.

I suppose you could try and use it to mean apology not accepted, where "excepted" would have the meaning of take exception to [something], in other words to object to it. But I wouldn't recommend it. :(

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    The trouble is that accepted and excepted sound so similar that it's easy for a learner to mistake one for the other.
    A contrived context in which "apology excepted" might make sense is "I'm not interested in anything you have to say, apology excepted" -- I want to hear nothing from you except an apology.

< Previous | Next >