apology

eli7

Persian (Farsi)
Greetings,

If you reap a big harvest, you offer no apology. If you didn't receive much, you offer no complaint.

Can I say that "apology" here means "defending of what you have done and giving explanation"? I mean it seems a positive thing to me unlike its surface meaning.
because I think it couldn't mean "excuses, having regret and being sorry" in this context.

• Chez

English English
    It seems to mean:

If you receive a lot (or are very lucky, perhaps) you don't need to feel guilty/be ashamed. But, on the other hand, if you don't receive much (or have bad luck) you don't complain.

It seems to suggest that you accept what life brings without complaining.

eli7

Persian (Farsi)
    Thanks.
    but why would someone feel guilty for earning much money or getting the better results? That's the thing I don't understand.

Chez

English English
    Don't you sometimes feel a sort of guilt if you have more/receive more/are luckier than other people you know?

Why me? why should I be so lucky? My poor friend never gets a break.

eli7

Persian (Farsi)
    I see your point, but whoever tries deserves the best. We could regret and feel pity for them, but should we blame ourselves for trying more and being successful?! The best is to help them grow not just feel sorry for them! So I still have problems with this interpretation.

It doesn't make sense to me. Can it mean "no need to explain for the others why you have succeeded and how you could get much money"?

Chez

English English
    Yes, if you prefer, no need to explain would work.

However, I still think the word 'apology' suggests possible feelings of guilt, rather than just a need to explain.

eli7

Persian (Farsi)
    I mean "apology" has a kind of positive meaning here, not negative. If I want to paraphrase and explain it I would say:
    If you earn much money and get good results, there is no need to explain your way and attitude to the others. It's your own result and you are the only one who is responsible for. So don't explain or defend the way you used.

Is it correct? How do you paraphrase it?

eli7

Persian (Farsi)
    This is another sentence:
    Maturity is the ability to reap without apology and not complain when things don't go well.

I just don't get this part: how to reap without apology if the amounts are big.

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    I see your point, but whoever tries deserves the best. We could regret and feel pity for them, but should we blame ourselves for trying more and being successful?! The best is to help them grow not just feel sorry for them! So I still have problems with this interpretation.

It doesn't make sense to me. Can it mean "no need to explain for the others why you have succeeded and how you could get much money"?
    As Chez points out, success does not depend only on trying harder; luck is a large factor. To take the harvest metaphor literally, no matter how hard a farmer works, the harvest will not be good if there is a drought, or if there is too much rain and the plants rot in the ground.

eli7

Persian (Farsi)
    Yeah, it works when you reap small, when tbere is drought do not complain, you were unlucky.
    But it doesnt work for the time you reap big! you are lucky and you must be happy, why would some one offer apology?!

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    Some people are simply happy when things go well for them, and don't worry about those who are less fortunate.

But there are people who care about justice, and are sad that other, equally deserving people are not lucky (for example, they are poor, their health is not good, bad things happen to their families, etc.). Sometimes the lucky people take their generous concern about others to the point of feeling guilty.

< Previous | Next >