apparels/clothings/dresses

learning_grenglish

India
I am off to buy some apparels.
I am off to buy some clothings.
I am off to buy some dresses.

Can I use "apparels" "clothings" and "dresses" interchangeably at least in this context?

I think so because I have seen in the dictionary that they all mean almost the same (wearing clothes).

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I am off to buy some apparel.
    I am off to buy some clothing.
    I am off to buy some dresses.

Can I use "apparel" "clothing" and "dresses" interchangeably at least in this context?

I think so because I have seen in the dictionary that they all mean almost the same (wearing clothes).
    Apparel and clothing do not take an "s".

"... buy some apparel" is possible, but not likely. We don't usually use the word to refer to our personal clothing. You see it more often in writing about clothes, or especially about the buisiness of making and selling clothing.

The other two are fine. I assume that you realize that "dresses" refers specifically to what women wear: a top part and a skirt in one piece.

"Clothing" refers to any kind of clothes. You can use it no matter what kind of clothing you intend to buy.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Thank you.

But I hear some men say, "I am very fastidious about my dress".
    Yes, but that is "dress" meaning "clothing" in the general sense; it almost means "how my clothes go together". Men wouldn't use it to mean a particular thing they wear. And it also doesn't take a plural when used this way. Dresses (as a noun) in the plural has to mean women's clothes, although a woman can have one dress.

I think you might want look up dress in the dictionary on the top of this page. I had forgotten how many ways we use this word. If anything is still confusing, ask again.

Harry Batt

USA English
    The only usage I've ever heard for apparel is a reference to "an apparel shop." It is similar to calling an American drug store "a pharmacy." Of course, usage does change and in a large department store you might ask a clerk, "Which floor for women's/men's apparels?" The pharmacy usage is changing since you know find them in large supermarkets. You would ask directions to the pharmacy and not to a drug store.

Brioche

Australia English
    The only usage I've ever heard for apparel is a reference to "an apparel shop." It is similar to calling an American drug store "a pharmacy." Of course, usage does change and in a large department store you might ask a clerk, "Which floor for women's/men's apparels?" The pharmacy usage is changing since you know find them in large supermarkets. You would ask directions to the pharmacy and not to a drug store.

I agree with all that, except that apparel does not take an s.

learning_grenglish

India
    Thank you friend.

So I think, if some women go for a shopping, they say "We are off to buy dresses for us"; and if some men go for a shopping, they say "We are off to buy clothing for us". Am I right?

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    Thank you friend.

So I think, if some women go for a shopping, they say "We are off to buy dresses for us"; and if some men go for a shopping, they say "We are off to buy clothing for us". Am I right?
    Surely we (women) can wear things other than dresses?

Brioche

Australia English
    Thank you friend.

They would not say "us". They would say "ourselves".

Either sex can say "I'm going to buy [myself] some new clothes."

If a woman says "I'm going to buy [myself] a new dress" she means one particular item of clothing.

learning_grenglish

India
    Thank you firneds.
    I say, generally, to my male friend, "Which dress you are wearing today" i.e. pant-shirt or 'trousher-shirt", etc., on a phone.

But now I realise I am wrong, and I should say "Which clothing are you wearning today"?
    Am I right?

nichec

Thank you firneds.
    I say, generally, to my male friend, "Which dress you are wearing today" i.e. pant-shirt or 'trousher-shirt", etc., on a phone.

But now I realise I am wrong, and I should say "Which clothing you are wearning today"?
    Am I right?
    What are you wearing today?

nichec

hi nichec
    You have given a new version, or you mean my sentence is incorrect.
    Maybe I hear "What clothes are you wearing today?" sometimes, but I would only say "What are you wearing today?", or even "What do you have on (you) today?"

< Previous | Next >