Apparently twenty three won’t go into fifteen

novinka1

Polish
I have a dialogue from a British series "Bad Education".

ALFIE (teacher)
Chantelle, have you not got a class to be preparing for?
CHANTELLE (likes the teacher, type of slut) Maths! We’re doing fractions. Apparently twenty three won’t go into fifteen, Mrs Mollinson says it’s impossible. We’ll see about that (she winks).

Could you help me with it?
Thank!

• MuttQuad

English - AmE
    "twenty three won’t go into fifteen"
    "Go into” as in "Three goes into twelve four times." Inamuch as one whole number cannot "go into another number smaller than iself a whole number of times, the speaker is planning to come up with a fraction as the answer to how many times 23 can "go into" 15.

The answer, by the way, is 15/23 times, if I recall high school arithmetic correctly.

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    This is a double entendre. Literally it means that fifteen is not divisible by twenty three. But Chantelle is also saying that the twenty-three-year-old teacher won't "go into" the fifteen-year-old student.

Is this clear enough?

Hau Ruck

English - U.S.
    This is a double entendre. Literally it means that fifteen is not divisible by twenty three. But Chantelle is also saying that the twenty-three-year-old teacher won't "go into" the fifteen-year-old student.

Is this clear enough?
    I agree, but we must add that she's saying that, but being coy, winking and saying 'we'll see about that'. Inferring that she plans to let the 23 year old teacher have sex with her. (she will make 23 go into 15).

< Previous | Next >