appealing to the tradition of Venice as a sea power

< Previous | Next >

s.salehi9001

persian
Dear friends,

Could you please help me, like always, with the following tricky phrases:

1. appealing to the tradition of Venice as a sea power
2. appeal to Venice's tradition of maritime greatness

Do they have the same meaning? I think the second one means: Having sea power for venetian people is attractive

The first one is an option in question 4 of the TOEFL sample and the second one is in its text.
Thank you

• Packard

USA, English
    Deleted pending a response to Florentia's question.

OK. I read from the link.

For me, a "sea power" relates to naval war dominance.

Maritime greatness refers to shipping and naval war dominance.

It is unlikely that the shipping and military greatness could be separated back then though.

The passage is a bit poorly written, despite being a teaching text. I quote from that text below:

Timber ran short, and it was necessary to procure it from father and father away.
    (It should read "further and further" or "farther and farther".)

A "father" is the male parent of a child.

s.salehi9001

persian
    Dear Florentia 52
    <-----Excess quote removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->
    In the fifteenth century there was little problem recruiting sailors to row the galleys (large ships propelled by oars): guilds (business associations) were required to provide rowers, and through a draft system free citizens served compulsorily when called for. In the early sixteenth century the shortage of rowers was not serious because the demand for galleys was limited by a move to round ships (round-hulled ships with more cargo space), with required fewer rowers. But the shortage of crews proved to be a greater and greater problem, despite continuous appeal to Venic’s tradition of maritime greatness. Even though sailors’ wages doubled among the northern Italian cities from 1550 to 1590, this did not elicit an increased supply.

It is the whole paragraph in the text.

And the question:

All of the following are mentioned in paragraph 2 as ways that Veniceprovided rowers for its galley EXCEPT
    d) Appealing to the traditions of Venice as a sea power.

Sorry, it seems a bit too long...

Dear Packard, I'm not clear about your first post. Could you please clarify a bit more?

Last edited by a moderator:

Packard

USA, English
    There are "merchant nations" and there are "warrior nations". Warrior nations would have maritime greatness measured in their ability to carry on naval warfare. And I would refer to that aspect of their navy as being "sea power".

A merchant nation would need some battleships in order to protect their merchant fleet of ships. And that combination could be called "maritime greatness". But "Sea power" would have an emphasis on the battle aspect rather than the merchant aspect.

That is my reading of this. I would be interested in what others have to say.

If this publication's editing is as poor as I've seen from that one page, I would not have too much faith in it as an instructional resource.

< Previous | Next >