appeared in my mind

Peter_Gabriel

Polish
Dear all,
I don’t know if “appeared in my mind” sounds natural. Maybe You could rephrase the sentence so that it could sound more natural?

"The dream of becoming a sworn translator appeared in my mind when I was sitting in a high school bench in a third form”

• Peter_Gabriel

Polish
    Not really. How about simply 'came to me'?

What do you mean by 'a sworn translator'?
    By 'a sworn translator' I meant a certified translator.

"First of all, the profession of a sworn translator (or a certified translator – the Polish term tłumacz przysięgły is actually translated both ways) is a regulated profession. This means that the basic principles of its practice, as well as the related authority and liability, are regulated at the statutory level, namely in the Act on the Profession of a Sworn Translator. The path to obtaining a sworn translator’s professional license is not an easy one. To become a sworn translator, one has to pass the official state examination administered by the Examination Board at the Ministry of Justice, and then be officially sworn in (hence the name – a sworn translator) and entered into the register of sworn (certified) translators kept by the Minister of Justice"

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    The concept of "sworn translator" exists in France. Here, translating isn't a regulated profession although some attempts were made in that direction about 25 years ago. However, translators and interpreters for the courts have to be "sworn". It means that they are permanenly on oath to translate accurately and sincerely. They have to accept court work, which is badly paid. Conversely, they can surcharge private customers for providing certified copies of documents, which some other countries seem to require.

It doesn't mean the same as a "registered translator", which simply means you're declared to the tax authorities.

Neither of these concepts exists in the UK, last I heard.