appease vs come down a disgruntled visitor

Discussion in 'English Only' started by salai, Apr 17, 2013.

  1. salai

    salai Senior Member


    Here is a sentence from the article 'Memo to Staff: Take More Risks', published in Wall Street Journal: 'Worried about losing their jobs, they avoided decisions that might cost the company money, such as making property repairs or appeasing a disgruntled guest with a free night's stay.'
    Is it possible to use 'coming down a disgruntled guest' instead of 'appeasing a disgruntled guest'?
    Thank you in advance.

    Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  2. Loob

    Loob Senior Member

    English UK
    No, it's not, I'm afraid, salai:(.
  3. exgerman Senior Member

    English but my first language was German
    Undoubtedly you mean calming down a disgruntled guest. The meaning is similar to appease. Calm down means to get them to stop being upset. Appease means to give them something to make them not be upset.

Share This Page