apple sticker

raizpat

Italian
Hi everybody,

I was reading a BBC article about the rigging of Russian Duma elections in December 2011.

A young woman and her boyfriend report to have taken part in a "carousel" (moving from a poll station to another one to vote several times for the same party). She said that they were given an "apple sticker" for their passports to be shown to the people in the poll station (to be admitted to vote again and again) and I was wondering if "apple sticker" has a special meaning in English (apart from the Apple company logo) or if she simply means a sticker depicting an apple.

Many thanks for your help

raizpat

• DocPenfro

English - British
    No, it doesn't have a special meaning. The BBC article is referring to a sticker, in the form of the picture of an apple, that was placed in people's passports to make it possible for them to vote more than once.

DocPenfro

English - British
    Having said that, when I checked the phrase "apple sticker" on Google, it made references to the logo of the Apple (computers) company. If the article had used a capital 'A', i.e. "Apple sticker" then this would probably have been what they meant.

< Previous | Next >