appliances

eddiemel7778

Portuguese/Brazil
Hi there everyone!
Is there any difference between, electrical / household / domestic appliances appliances? They seem to be the same to me.

Thanks heaps for your help.

• Siberia

UK-Wales - English
    Electrical appliances are not necessarily household appliances, while household appliances are electrical. I never use domestic appliances though it is clear that it is the synonym of household in this case.

maxiogee

Banned
    imithe
    Electrical appliances could include mains-run cement mixers and compressors which might be used to build one's house, but they are not 'household' appliances.
    I would normally agree with Siberia that domestic = household, but I wonder whether a power-drill, or a sander, for example, are 'domestic' while I definitely feel that they are 'household'. I think the definition here which I would tend to give 'domestic appliance' would be 'involved in the day-to-day running of the home" while 'household appliance' would cover those and any such things as d-i-y power tools and other incidentals.

Electrical appliances could include mains-run cement mixers and compressors which might be used to build one's house, but they are not 'household' appliances.
    I would normally agree with Siberia that domestic = household, but I wonder whether a power-drill, or a sander, for example, are 'domestic' while I definitely feel that they are 'household'. I think the definition here which I would tend to give 'domestic appliance' would be 'involved in the day-to-day running of the home" while 'household appliance' would cover those and any such things as d-i-y power tools and other incidentals.
    I would classify such items as d-i-y tools, hairdryers, electric razors, radios, as "electrical appliances".

Household appliances are such things as washing machines, dish-washers, vaccuum cleaners, fridges, freezers, etc.

LRV

padredeocho

Banned
    United States
    Hi there everyone!
    Is there any difference between, electrical / household / domestic appliances appliances? They seem to be the same to me.

Thanks heaps for your help.
    Well, anything that "applies" science to something that can actually be used is called an "appliance". It does not have to be electrical. A yo-yo is technically an "appliance". However, most people associate "appliances" with electrical appliances in the kitchen. So, I would say your three examples are usually interchangeable.

< Previous | Next >