Application for the post of an/ Assistant Teacher

Tofail

Bangla
One of my friend wrote : Application for the post of an Assistant Teacher. Our teacher told that "an" is unnecessary here. He did not explain the reason. Could anyone help me understand the reason.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    In this case,
    1. "Assistant Teacher" is the name of the post/position/grade/rank - these names are not qualified - they are (generally) uncountable. This guidance is difficult as it is correct to say "I am an assistant teacher" because this is not classified as a name, but as an occupation.

2. A/an is a determiner and all determiners are adjectives, and all adjectives have a meaning that qualifies the noun. In this case, "Application for the post of an Assistant Teacher." would mean "Application for the post of one of the Assistant Teachers who are currently employed [but whom we are going to dismiss.]"

Tofail

Bangla
    In this case,
    1. "Assistant Teacher" is the name of the post/position/grade/rank - these names are not qualified - they are (generally) uncountable. This guidance is difficult as it is correct to say "I am an assistant teacher" because this is not classified as a name, but as an occupation.

2. A/an is a determiner and all determiners are adjectives, and all adjectives have a meaning that qualifies the noun. In this case, "Application for the post of an Assistant Teacher." would mean "Application for the post of one of the Assistant Teachers who are currently employed [but whom we are going to dismiss.]"
    Thank you for your answer. From your explanation, I understand that the sentence of my friend was wrong.

< Previous | Next >