Yuukan

Spanish
Hi!!

I'm not sure about the following expression:

"This web application was designed by ...."

Is correct to say just application??

"This application was designed by...."

is natural and understandable?

That application is for teaching purposes, where the user can play sound and see text in a computer, it's not a software.

Thanks!!

• roxcyn

USA
    American English [AmE]
    I admit to some confusion. If it's not "software," then what is it exactly?
    If it's a program that has to be run from a website that is not software. Software is something that's installed on the computer. Java programs and flash are applications.

It seems like if you say "applications" that would be fine if you have already stated from the context that we are talking about the internet. Remember that application can mean like form (like employment application). Cheers

Pablo

Yuukan

Spanish
    Thanks!

Sorry
    Actually, the complete phrase is:

"This Flash application was designed by..."

What do you think now? is correct?

roxcyn

USA
    American English [AmE]
    I am deeply skeptical of that definition of what constitutes "software." May I ask whether you know any source that can substantiate your assertions?
    Yes, of course.

Software:
    (computer science) written programs or procedures or rules and associated documentation pertaining to the operation of a computer system
    That would means programs such as Firefox, iTunes, AVG Anti-virus, Norton Anti-virus...these are all examples of software because they are written programs on a computer.

Source: http://www.google.com/search?q=define:+software&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

However when I browsed some computing website/dictionaries they said that "software" can be a synonym for "application"...for example "the Firefox application" / "The image viewer application"

roxcyn

USA
    American English [AmE]
    Thanks!

Sorry
    Actually, the complete phrase is:

"This Flash application was designed by..."

What do you think now? is correct?
    I like it. If you are already had the context about computers and you talk about the "application" (which would be the Flash application) I think it sounds okay.

Pablo

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Hi!!

I'm not sure about the following expression:

"This web application was designed by ...."

Is correct to say just application??

"This application was designed by...."

is natural and understandable?
    It is perfectly natural and understandable. Applications can run on any computer, not just your own. When you access a web site, you are seeing the screen display of an app on another computer. The page view is visible on yours. You can, by actions on your own computer, act as a terminal to the computer running the application, and cause it to run various routines, or invoke other applications.

That application is for teaching purposes, where the user can play sound and see text in on a computer, it's not a software.

"a software" makes my head hurt. It is used in legal documents. Otherwise, it is foreign to AE.

George French

English - UK
    The application is the thing the "user" wants, independant on how it works etc.
    Software is something that runs on some form of computer (from a mainframe to a chip etc.) that enables applications. Sometimes software goes wrong! and then errors occur in the application, operating system etc....

However in day to day speech (& documents) application and software get used in all sorts of interesting ways.. Most of the time, who cares? Sometimes it is very necessary to make the distinction, often not.

GF..

PS..

cuchuflete's

"Applications can run on any computer, not just your own" is certainly wishful thinking.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    PS..

cuchuflete's

"Applications can run on any computer, not just your own" is certainly wishful thinking.
    My comment was a response to this untrue statement:

If it's a program that has to be run from a website that is not software.
    I did not mean to imply that any single application will run on any computer; rather, that applications in general do not have to be installed and run on the computer of a single person connected to the Internet.

George French

English - UK
    In reply to cuchuflete post.

Let's just refer to then as "internet applications".

But even then one has to have some agent on one's own computer "to interface to" the remote internet application. Is this agent, "software/a program?"

GF..

< Previous | Next >