applied field Vs application field

< Previous | Next >

greatcz

Chinese
Which one should I use if I want to describe the field where theory is put into application?
I hope I present my question clearly. Applied mathematics is such a field. But I don't know how to call it appropriately.
Thanks.

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Are you looking for an adjective to put before the name of the field in the same way that applied comes before mathematics?
    If so, then you need "applied" :)
    There are lots of "applied <...>" terms.

If not, can you post a sentence that would include the term you are searching for?

greatcz

Chinese
    Are you looking for an adjective to put before the name of the field in the same way that applied comes before mathematics?
    If so, then you need "applied" :)
    There are lots of "applied <...>" terms.

If not, can you post a sentence that would include the term you are searching for?
    For example, after receiving 4-year education in pure mathematics, I now plan to study in the ()field, such as computer science, engineering.

Itisamazing

Turkish and Persian
    For example, after receiving 4-year education in pure mathematics, I now plan to study in the ()field, such as computer science, engineering.
    In this case it should be applied field.
    cheers,
    I

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    You do not want to specify one particular field, and anyway there is no specific applied field related to pure mathematics (you don't want to write applied mathematics), so you should use the indefinite article - and applied:
    ... plan to study in an applied field, such as computer science or engineering.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >