applied linguistics

< Previous | Next >

islam-2

palistain/arabic
Peace be with you all:
I would like to ask you aquestion .I need your answers very quickly becouse my teacher will ask me it next lecture .The question is:what is applied linguistics?
jasmin
thanks

• bartonig

UK English
    Peace be with you too: When you have a question such as this I suggest you first look the word(s) up in the WordReference dictionary and, if there is no entry, try the web. A good site for meanings of branches of study is www.wikipedia.com.

"It is the branch of linguistics concerned with using linguistic theory to address real-world problems and has been traditionally dominated by the fields of language education and second language acquisition. "
    Adapted from www.wikipedia.com

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    jasmin,
    These forums have many uses.
    They should not be used as a substitute for doing something that your teacher has set for you.
    WR Rule #17
    These forums do not provide free schoolwork. If you want help with a school assignment, you are required to do your own work first. Then, and only then, you may post it with a request for help with specific doubts.
    Panjandrum
    (Moderator)

Morathi

Spain, Spanish
    I have a different question but relating the same terms: How would you say it in English "Linguistics applied to translation" or "Translation-applied linguistics",... or some other way? :)
    Thanks a lot.

K.Luste

Latvian
    God, I disliked the lecture of Introduction to linguistics so much. :(

Morathi, you should state your enquiry more clearly. Again, lack of background of the situation.

Morathi

Spain, Spanish
    Sorry, I will try to be more clear:

I am translating my university student file from Spanish into English, I study Translation and Interpreting. So I have one subject about the application of linguistics in the field of translation. So I don´t know if this subject would be called in English "Translation applied to linguistics", or "Linguistics-applied Translation", or how...

K.Luste

Latvian
    I am also studying translation and interpretation (just started).
    And the only linguistics-related lecture we have had so far was called "Introduction to linguistics" during which we were tought of the importance linguistics carry when translating.

If I were to chose, I would go with ''Applied linguistics'', for it seems, google at least, is not familiar with any other of your given versions. Although, ''Applied linguistics'' is not quite the same, in terms of the meaning.

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Drawing a parallel with a course I helped with when I was at university ("English Composition for Engineers"), I wonder if something like "Linguistics for Translators" would fit the bill. Other possibilities might be "Linguistic Aspects of Translation" or "Applied Linguistics in Translation". The last of these might be the best of my suggestions.

< Previous | Next >