Applied to/applied in

< Previous | Next >

atakeris

Latvian
Hello,

This methodology can be applied to/in many fields.

Can I use both? Is there any difference in meaning if both work here?

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Yes, you can use both; yes, there is a difference. I don't know what "fields" you're talking about, but let me explain by taking "field" in its literal sense.

"I have a new method of fencing, which I wish to apply to the field by the river." (= I want to fence around the entire field in this way.)
    "I have a new method of ploughing, which I wish to apply in the field by the river." (= I want to go inside the field and try the new method on at least part of it.)

Now, consider whether this distinction applies to your context...

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    This methodology can be applied to many fields. = This methodology can be applied to biology, physics, linguistics, biology and many other areas of study, in general and across them all.

This methodology can be applied in many fields. = This methodology can be applied within biology, physics, linguistics, biology and many other areas of study to solve the sort of problem it addresses.

Crosspost with KeithB

atakeris

Latvian
    Yes, you can use both; yes, there is a difference. I don't know what "fields" you're talking about, but let me explain by taking "field" in its literal sense.

"I have a new method of fencing, which I wish to apply to the field by the river." (= I want to fence around the entire field in this way.)
    "I have a new method of ploughing, which I wish to apply in the field by the river." (= I want to go inside the field and try the new method on at least part of it.)

Now, consider whether this distinction applies to your context...
    The field in my context is like marketing, IT etc. That you can apply project management methodology in many fields.

< Previous | Next >