< Previous | Next >

ADMP

Sinhaleese - Sri Lanka
Can we use spread instead of apply
  1. Sam is applying cream on baby's skin
  2. Sam is spreading some cream on baby's skin

• dificilima

A language I no longer speak...
    Sentence 1 is fine, but I would probably use to instead of on as the preposition. Sam is applying cream to baby's skin.

Sentence 2 is understandable, but awkward. Spread is different from apply. Spread means to distribute a substance, normally food, in a layer. Apply means to put something somewhere.
    If you don't want to use apply as the verb, you might try the following:
    Sam is putting cream on baby's skin.
    Sam is rubbing cream on baby's skin.

min300

Iran ,( Persian)Farsi
    What if we use 'make' here, "Sam is making cream on baby's face"?
    I suggested this because I watched an American series today and the actress said, " I made my cream".

JamesM

"I make my cream" would mean that you separated the cream from the milk by hand (if speaking about cream from milk), or that you actually created the lotion or cream yourself at home (if speaking about hand or face cream.)

I'm curious what the name of this series is that had such a line in it. Is it set in the old West?

min300

Iran ,( Persian)Farsi
    "I make my cream" would mean that you separated the cream from the milk by hand (if speaking about cream from milk), or that you actually created the lotion or cream yourself at home (if speaking about hand or face cream.)

I'm curious what the name of this series is that had such a line in it. Is it set in the old West?
    It was desperate housewives. In that scene the man wanted to kiss the woman (Marcia Cross) who was teaching him how to use his gun. The man asked if she used perfume and she said ' no, I just made my cream.' it seemed like she wasn't interested in him and just wanted to say something.

min300

Iran ,( Persian)Farsi
    I would think she meant "I have just put my make up on."
    Yes. It's possible that I have heard it wrong, I mean maybe I didn't catch the whole sentence. Native speakers of any language usually speak fast or they may eat some words( I don't know if ' eating word' is correct form to say in English) so maybe I got it wrong.
    Thank you Lis48 and James for clarifying me:).

< Previous | Next >