apply for a flight attendent?

< Previous | Next >

florance

danish
Hi everyone i wonder how to say I want to apply for a job for something
For example, is it ok to say:

I am applying for the job as a flight attendant?
or
I am applying to become a flight attendant ?

or else?

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
  • The Newt

English - US
    It depends on whom you're addressing and whether there is only one job opening. Are you writing a cover letter to the employer?

The Newt

English - US
    It's fine to say "job" when writing to a friend, but for a business letter you should use "position" or some other more formal term.

florance

danish
    Ohh I am just trying to write back to a friend. I am trying to say " I know you are applying for a/the as a flight attendant"

But yeah it is the article that really bugs me

Many thanks to you all guys!

florance

danish
    Thanks you all again

What is based on mutual understanding, I know he is applying to let's say ABC airlines

Then shall I say

"I know you are applying for the job as a flight attendant in ABC airlines"? or a job? Thanks so much again!

Copyright

American English
    I know you're applying to Singapore Airlines as a flight attendant. Just wanted to wish you luck.

You don't need "job" in this sort of letter.

If you do want it, I would use "a job" – I'm sure there's more than one.

Last edited:
    I don't disagree with Copyright at all in his above post #10, except for the situation noted by Keith in his post #4:

"Not if this is one specific job, e.g. "...the job as a flight attendant, reference FA127, advertised in last week's Jyllands-Posten."

(The airlines may have "other" positions open, but there is only one referenced as FA127, and there was only one advertised.")

It doesn't matter in conversation, but you would not respond to the above ad as "I want to apply for a job...." it is the position, so I hope you can start to get a better grasp of the difference between "a" and "the" which really is the heart of your question.

Copyright

American English
    In my experience – and I have some :) – that's not the way it works. Here is a typical Cathay Pacific ad for flight attendants. They know that thousands of people will apply, so they only want to hear from you by email if you meet the basic qualifications listed in the ad.

The ad ends with:
    To apply, please send your resume quoting "Application for Flight Attendant - JFK Base" to: <email address>.

With thousands of applications coming in, they'll only look for an attached resume – there are no points for an introductory "I'm applying for the position of flight attendant, reference CX123." You might say "Please find my resume attached. Thank you for your consideration. <Name>." But it probably won't be read. In any case, there's no need for any job listing number – these calls for applications happen when flight attendants are needed ... they are not sprinkled in the classifieds throughout the year.

florance

danish
    Thank you so much for really helping me out! I am wondering like what you said if the sentence " I know you are applying for the position as a flight attendant" would be correct?
    Because i looked up the oxford collocation dictionary, it says
    " position ~ of She was offered the position of sales manager. "

Thanks so much anyway!!!!!!!!

Copyright

American English
    Thank you so much for really helping me out! I am wondering like what you said if the sentence " I know you are applying for the position as a flight attendant" would be correct?
    Because i looked up the oxford collocation dictionary, it says
    " position ~ of She was offered the position of sales manager. "
    ... position of flight attendant.

< Previous | Next >