Apply... learned [in] this unit [in] class discussion.

emma.learns

Chinese - China
Hi everyone,

Apply vocabulary, sentence structures, functional language, and comparative and superlative language learned in this unit in class discussions.

I'm trying to say apply "what's been learned" in class discussions.

The use of two "in" maybe repetitive, is it appropriate?

Should I say "into class discussions" there?

Thank you!

• e2efour

UK English
    The preposition into cannot be used here. At least, I have never seen the combination apply ... into.
    The choice is between in or to.
    As is often the case, more than one preposition can be used. However, since apply is often used with to. I can see that in might be used since you could say use the language learned in this unit in class discussions.

On the other hand, one can argue that apply should be used with to and that employ should be used with in.

emma.learns

Chinese - China
    The two "in"s are fine. You might want to insert an "and": apply things you learned in this unit and in class discussions
    Hi J, I don't mean apply "things leaned from this unit and class discussions", I mean apply "things learned from this unit" to class discussions.

emma.learns

Chinese - China
    The preposition into cannot be used here. At least, I have never seen the combination apply ... into.
    The choice is between in or to.
    As is often the case, more than one preposition can be used. However, since apply is often used with to. I can see that in might be used since you could say use the language learned in this unit in class discussions.

On the other hand, one can argue that apply should be used with to and that employ should be used with in.
    Hi e, is it OK to say apply... to class discussions?

I feel "to class discussions" is a bit unusual, maybe my feeling isn't correct.

e2efour

UK English
    I find to or in possible.

I see them as follows:
    To apply what you have been taught in class discussions (means during class discussions).
    To apply what you have been taught to class discussions (means that class discussions is a separate activity to which you apply what you have learned).

But as JAQT interpreted it in a different way, perhaps the sentence should be rewritten. :)
    The use of to would remove this ambiguity.

< Previous | Next >