Apply sealant, leaving 1-2 mm at the end.

< Previous | Next >

wolfrau

Polish
Hi guys! I need to write a sentence to this picture: http://www.dvs-mazda.ru/files/MPV/1st/esicont/en/srvc/html/images/BME0111W1062.png

There will be no picture, so I have to describe what has to be done. I have a few ideas, but I'm not sure about them:

"Apply silicone sealant to the threads, leaving (omitting?) 1-2 mm at the end."

"Apply silicone sealant to the threads. There should be no sealant at the end (1-2 mm) of the switch."

I would be very thankful if you could tell me how you would put it.

• wolfrau

Polish
    Thank you for all your answers. Seems like building this sentence is harder than I thought. :) I think this one sounds the most accurate to me:
    Apply silicone sealant to the thread, except for the last 1-2 mm.
    Btw, srk and SwissPete used the word "thread" in singular, which seems to be fine, but in the service manual they used it in plural - "threads" (just like I did in my first post). I'm wondering why. Might that be a mistake?

suzi br

English / England
    On any single screw / bolt there is a single continuous thread. Hence the use of singular. If you are doing lots of them the plural might make sense.

Andygc

British English
    This is a perfect example of a picture being worth a thousand words.
    but leave 1-2 mm at the free end of the thread free of sealant.
    except for the last 1-2 mm
    Leaving the last 1-2mm bare?
    Which end of a screw thread is the last end? The end that must be left bare is the first part to enter the female thread. The part that enters the female thread is the start of the male thread. The illustration also shows no sealant at the end of the thread nearest the switch body.

Loctite, who make liquid thread sealants, give this instruction.
    Apply a 360° bead to the leading male thread, leaving the first thread free.
    Note the use of "thread" as a countable noun to mean a single turn of the thread. That is a normal usage.

"Apply a 4-6mm wide band of silicone sealant to the switch thread leaving the first 1-2mm of the thread free." I would underline that for emphasis because it is clearly important.

"Apply silicone sealant to the threads
    But I agree that this use of plural "threads" is incorrect.
    So there must be a mistake in the manual. I wouldn't have thought of that.
    It's probably a translation from Japanese - your link has "Mazda" in it.

wolfrau

Polish
    Andygc, thank you for your thorough explanation.
    Which end of a screw thread is the last end? The end that must be left bare is the first part to enter the female thread. The part that enters the female thread is the start of the male thread. The illustration also shows no sealant at the end of the thread nearest the switch body.
    True, but I think that this is not important, otherwise they would've indicated that too.
    Loctite, who make liquid thread sealants, give this instruction.Note the use of "thread" as a countable noun to mean a single turn of the thread. That is a normal usage.
    I think I understand it now. So, theoretically, I could say: "leaving the first 2-3 threads free" (if that would be equal to 1-2 mm).

"Apply a 4-6mm wide band of silicone sealant to the switch thread leaving the first 1-2mm of the thread free." I would underline that for emphasis because it is clearly important.

But I agree that this use of plural "threads" is incorrect.It's probably a translation from Japanese - your link has "Mazda" in it.
    Thank you for your suggestion. Btw, I've just realised that the picture I have in my manual is slightly different than what I've sent you. It doesn't show how wide the band of silicone should be and it shows that the silicone band should begin right from the switch body, with no free spot there.
    Regarding the manual, the translation doesn't look "suspicious" in my opinion. OIL PRESSURE INSPECTION [ZJ, Z6]

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    "Apply silicone sealant to the threads, leaving (omitting?) 1-2 mm at the end."
    As you have the advantage of a diagram, you could say "Apply silicone sealant to the thread, except for the 1-2 mm as shown which should be free of sealant."

wolfrau

Polish
    Thank you Paul. Although the gist of the problem is that there will be no picture and I can't say "as shown", but I need to describe it. I think that Andygc's suggestion should be fine: "Apply silicone sealant to the switch thread, leaving the first 1-2 mm of the thread free."

Andygc

British English
    Btw, I've just realised that the picture I have in my manual is slightly different than what I've sent you. It doesn't show how wide the band of silicone should be and it shows that the silicone band should begin right from the switch body, with no free spot there.
    No, it specifies that the sealant band should be 4-6mm wide. It doesn't show the sealant starting at the switch body. There's no real difference between the two diagrams. It would be a waste of money putting thread sealant on any further along the thread than specified.
    Regarding the manual, the translation doesn't look "suspicious" in my opinion.
    There's a couple of phrases that are slightly odd - but writing "threads" when there is only one thread is a trivial error. However, I'm sure an English-speaking engineer could write this - our universities now provide remedial English courses for science undergraduates.

to prevent a possible operation malfunction - just "malfunction"
    If the oil leaks, specify the malfunctioning part - "identify"

wolfrau

Polish
    Thank you for your remarks, Andygc.
    No, it specifies that the sealant band should be 4-6mm wide. It doesn't show the sealant starting at the switch body. There's no real difference between the two diagrams. It would be a waste of money putting thread sealant on any further along the thread than specified.
    I haven't sent you the picture that I'm talking about - those on the internet are similar, but still different than the one I have in my PDF manual.

< Previous | Next >