Apply <your company> for a free conference pass

Discussion in 'English Only' started by atakeris, Jul 11, 2017.

1. atakeris Senior Member

Latvian
    Hello,

I know how to use "apply" when I'm refering to myself "I've applied for a job" etc. But what about if you are applying someone else, or on behalf of the company:

Does it work?
    Apply <your company> for a free conference pass

Or should I change the phrasing?

2. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London but from Yorkshire
    English - England
    That does not work.

How can a company have a pass to go to a conference? Does it mean that everyone who works for the company can go?

3. atakeris Senior Member

Latvian
    Ok, let's say "apply your company for the award XYZ". I'm more interested whether this structure is correct or not.

4. lingobingo

lingobingo Senior Member

London
    English - England
    No, you can't apply a company [for something], but a company can apply [for something].

You would have to say something like: We made an application on behalf of the company for [whatever]. Or: The company plans to apply for [whatever].

5. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    Let's not say that.

6. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    To apply, in the sense of an application, is an intransitive verb. You cannot use it transitively. The verb "to apply" also has a transitive meaning - "I applied polish to the table," "I applied differential equations to the problem" - but it is quite different from what you mean here. Trying to use this verb transitively, with a meaning that it only has intransitively, would be confusing at best - and perhaps not understood at all.

7. atakeris Senior Member

Latvian
    Thank you!