applying it

walkkker

Chinese
Context:
When I graduate, I would like to work as a developer in spatial analysis, striving to contribute to the science of smart cities applying it to city planning and architecture in the pursuit of making our cities better places to live.

About the word "it", I want to know what it refers.
And I don't know if this sentence is correct. So I wonder if I should add a comma:
"When I graduate, I would like to work as a developer in spatial analysis, striving to contribute to the science of smart cities, applying it to city planning and architecture in the pursuit of making our cities better places to live."

OR do you have other better advise?

• Dryan

English - Northeastern U.S.
    I believe it refers to the speaker's future degree in spatial analysis.

"...striving to contribute to the science of smart cities applying spatial analysis to city planning and architecture in the pursuit of making our cities better places to live."

In my opinion, I probably would add a conjunction like and where you placed the new comma but I think the comma is grammatical too.

owlman5

English-US
    striving to contribute to the science of smart cities applying it to city planning
    by applying it to city planning... :thumbsup: It logically refers to spatial analysis, walkkker. It seems odd that you wouldn't understand what it refers to in your own writing.

cross-posted with Dryan.

< Previous | Next >