appointment for january

AirbusA321LR

German
When somebody asks "Can we meet in 3 weeks?", would this answer be OK?

No, sorry. We make a long Christmas break from december 14 to december 31 but we can make (or "arrange") an appointment for january now.

If I said "appointment in january", I think this might be misinterpreted as "I can't offer you an appointment at the moment, please call again in january."

• suzi br

English / England
    When somebody asks "Can we meet in 3 weeks?", would this answer be OK?

No, sorry. We make a long Christmas break from december 14 to december 31 but we can make (or "arrange") an appointment for january now.

If I said "appointment in january", I think this might be misinterpreted as "I can't offer you an appointment at the moment, please call again in january."
    I don’t think anyone would misinterpret it that way.

Scrawny goat

English - Ireland
    Also, please note that in English the names of months are always written with capital letters. The appointment is ‘for January’.

suzi br

English / England
    The "now" shouldn't be there, I wrote it down accidentally. Would you say that without "now" the sentence can't be misinterpreted either?
    Well, that’s a different question!

If you say “We can make an appointment in January” then there IS scope to think you are delaying the opportunity to make an appointment until then. Yes.

< Previous | Next >