appose

rzezucha

polish
Hello, I found a very good explanation of this word in the forum but still have problems understanding it in this particular context. I think that it is misused and perhaps the verb 'oppose' should be used. The extract comes from 'Enquiry for POWs' and is a report on treatment by camp guards.
"Guards were spitiful 1940-41 [I'm not sure whether it is a new sentence since there is no full stop and capital letters are used all over] because England alone apposed them, heavy labour, miniful food, clothes in rags. British POWs apposed to a man, whatever.'
I have no idea what the last sentence referes to!!

• ewie

English English
    Hello Rzezucha. I've very little idea what any of it means! Spitiful should be spiteful, I suppose. I have no idea what miniful is meant to represent. Nor apposed.

Where on earth did you find this?

Cypherpunk

US, English
    I think your sample is full of errors, as you have already noted. I would say that this should be written "Guards were spiteful in 1940-1941, because England alone opposed them, heavy labour, minimal food, clothes in rags. British POWs opposed to a man, whatever..."
    I'm guessing that the last sentence means the British POWs continued to resist, to a man, after their capture, in whatever way that they could.

rzezucha

polish
    Thanks a lot. These are documents taken from the museum of POWs and sometimes it is hard for me to make any sense of what's there. English is a second language for me but I would agree that there are some mistakes there and words I have never come across. I just wanted to make sure about this 'appose' so thanks. As for the miniful I couldn't find it anywhere but thought the author meant very little food. Thanks again.

< Previous | Next >