apprécier comme il se doit

hugsy

france french
bonjour,

j'ai du mal a savoir ce que je devrais mettre et qui serait vraiment anglais pour la phrase suivante :

" il faut un peu de bourre sur la peau grenue pour apprécier comme il se doit l’étonnant miracle"

j'ai traduis par :

"
a little stuffing is needed on the coarse-grained skin to correctly appreciate the astonishing miracle"

ou

"
little stuffing is needed on the coarse-grained skin to appreciate in a correct way the astonishing miracle"

je pense qu'aucune des deux phrases ne se dirait vraiment.

qu'en pensez-vous ?

• LGT

English (England)
    Hi Hugsy,

What is the context? Is this a recipe? I suspect you need something like "a little stuffing is needed, underneath the skin of the bird (?), so that the miracle (of the dish?)/ beauty of the dish can be properly appreciated"

hugsy

france french
    well, it is about eating an artichoke: if we can't take all the hairs off the heart, it doesn't matter, a little stuffing is needed to appreciate it properly (and, yeah, I'm not sure either for stuffing ...)

LGT

English (England)
    Ahhhhh....this makes a little more sense, as the only time I ever ate artichoke I had to pretty much drown it in garlic butter to make it taste of anything! So maybe you need something more like:

"a little sauce/garnish is needed, on the skin coarse skin of the artichoke, to really bring out the flavours"?

"a little sauce/garnish is needed, on the skin coarse skin of the artichoke, so that this delicacy can really be appreciated"?

N.B. Stuffing can only go in or possibly underneath something, not really on :)

Geoffrey

English England
    Consider the word "crust" if the artichoke is to be baked with, say a mixture of breadcrumbs, herbs and egg, crushed garlic and sprinkled with parsley on top. As I recall, bourre is usually a stuffing of something like a cushion.
    Am feeling hungry now...

Geoffrey

English England
    Artichokes have a delicate flavour. Once boiled, try removing the choke, rinsing carefully then cutting in half, brushing with olive oil and searing on a griddle. In France I remember eating them warm like this and drinking tea rather than wine, but a light white may be good with them. Baby artichokes are better, but fiddly.
    If you eat them with anything else the flavour is drowned out. my father, a smoker, said they had no flavour at all, but changed his mind after he stopped smoking!

< Previous | Next >