apprécier quelque chose à sa juste valeur

French - Switzerland
Hello,

How do you translate in English this expression "apprécier quelque chose à sa juste valeur". I found a translation for "apprécier quelqu'un à sa juste valeur" ("to get a fair picture of someone"), but I do not think that it works.

Ex: "Il a apprécié cette expérience à sa juste valeur."

My try: "He got to estimate this experience to its right value"????

Merci pour votre aide!

• Guill

Français - France
    I would have said "He loved this experience for what it was worth" but there must be a more idiomatic way to say it, I think.

Suehil

Medemod
    British English
    'He appreciated the experience to the full.'
    'To appreciate' means 'to be aware of the value of', so you don't need to mention the 'worth'. :)

fsm*

I would have said "He loved this experience for what it was worth" but there must be a more idiomatic way to say it, I think.
    The sentence is thoroughly correct, but the expression for what it was worth usually contains the connotation that the thing or experience did not live up to expectations, or was found wanting in some way.

Suehil's suggestion sounds a bit more appropriate for à sa juste valeur if I understand the French expression correctly.

In fact, in AE I think it would be more common to say:
    'He appreciated the experience to the fullest.'
    or even...
    'He appreciated the experience to the fullest extent.'

broglet

English - England
    I agree with fsm that 'for what it was worth' usually suggests it wasn't worth much.

A possible translation of the original would be 'He appreciated the (true) value of the experience' - but this doesn't mean the same as Suehil's 'He appreciated the experience to the full' and I don't know which is closer in meaning to the original French.

< Previous | Next >