appreciable

< Previous | Next >

Dr.Appalayya

India;Telugu
A politician responded to my request and agreed to take up my cause, which does not usually happen with many politicans in India. I want to compliment him.

Can I say,

Your response is appreciable.

• difficult cuss

English England
    Your response is appreciated (note not appreciable). Would thank them for their response, not for their promise to assist.

Your assistance (in this matter) is most appreciated.
    Some would add the bracketed area, others might feel it unnecessary.

Ms Missy

USA English
    "appreciable" is often used to connote a block of time (usually a LOT of time) spent on an accomplishment. or completing a project. Ex: I spent an appreciable amount of time completing my display for the County Fair, so I'm not surprised that it won First Place!

PS. You probably spent an appreciable amount of time preparing your project to be presented to the politician! ;)

screenactorsguild

Vietnamese
    I have a strange which can't be explained easily:
    "Only if they have to carry this waste for some .........(estimated, appreciable) distance to find a suitable container do they ...
    I chose "estimated" + distance , but it turned out to be "appreciable", why?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    The underlying thought of 'Only if ... do they ..." is that there is some significant experience that will cause them to change their mind, or realize something, or whatever the part of the sentence you left off tells us.

"An estimated distance" just says that the distance is uncertain. It doesn't tell us whether the distance was long (and difficult) or short (and easy).

Appreciable means "large or important enough to be noticed." That is the kind of distance that will cause people to change their mind.

Note: In the future, please give us the complete sentence when you post a question. Sometimes it helps us answer your question. Even if it doesn't, the incomplete sentence is distracting.

Sun14

Chinese
    "appreciable" is often used to connote a block of time (usually a LOT of time) spent on an accomplishment. or completing a project. Ex: I spent an appreciable amount of time completing my display for the County Fair, so I'm not surprised that it won First Place!

PS. You probably spent an appreciable amount of time preparing your project to be presented to the politician! ;)
    Is it natural to use "appreciable" in other context like:

They have appreciable money to buy the villa.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    They have an appreciable amount of money, so they can buy the villa. You wouldn't use "appreciable" in the same way as "enough".
    They have enough money to buy the villa.

< Previous | Next >